Sunday, July 21, 2013

An author without a publisher

What’s a girl to do?

Due to the recent death of our publisher, Linda, her partner in the publishing company has decided to shut the doors on L&L Dreamspell. Amidst all the grieving that all of us are experiencing we have to decide what to do with our manuscripts. All rights have been reverted to me, including my sixth novel (At Face Value) that had yet to be printed.
I’m extremely saddened over the death of a friend and now have to grieve over the loss of publishing company that cared for its authors. Where else could you offer the publisher a bunch of chocolate if she printed your book a month earlier than planned? Who else would call you out of the blue just because you fell off the face of the earth for a month? Lisa and Linda took such amazing care of us and our books from the words to the covers, to the moral support and guidance. Even now, Lisa is focusing on her dream team of authors and making sure they get what they need to make their decisions and move forward.

So here I am, without a publisher and I have no clue what to do. I, for one, never thought I would be here. Here I am, asking, “What do I do?”
Should I submit to other publishers? Do I look for an agent? Or do I take a gigantic leap and self-publish?

If I submit to other publishers or an agent, do I submit only the book that hasn’t been put in print yet? Do I mention the other five books that now need an avenue to get to readers? Are there any publishers or agents that you think might best fit me and my romantic-suspense genre?
If I go self-pubbed is that riskier than traditional publishing? What is all the work I would have to do myself? And do you as a reader like to read self-published?

My biggest issue is making sure that the books are available in both print and ebook format.
In the back of my mind, as difficult as this situation is, and when I get past all the tears, I think this is an impetus to push me.  It’s a sign. Here is an opportunity to take the bull by its horns and turn my writing career into what I want. The question is, “How?”

Whether you are a reader, a writer, blogger, etc., what are your thoughts?

6 comments:

Anonymous July 21, 2013 at 8:03 AM  

Wow, very sorry to hear about the loss of your publisher and the decision to close L&L. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll land on your feet with a lot of success. I am a "hybrid" author. I'm both self publishing and working with a publisher. I'm finding there's definitely more money in self publishing, but I love having a professional publisher behind me.

Good luck, Denise, on whichever direction you decide.

dee July 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM  

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and publisher.
I think you would fit in great at Samhain publishing or even with Ms. Tina at Devine Destinies if you don't mind a Canadian publisher. I would recommend either company or wherever you go your new material but self publish your older works. That way you get a taste of self publishing without all the risk. If you don't like it simple let whichever publisher you choose list your back list. No harm no foul. Ms.Tina's company puts out books every month on the 1st and the 15th, all her authors speak very highly of her and as a customer i've found her to be really nice and funny. Samhain puts out new books every week and seems to always have something going on for both it's readers and authors. Anyway just my two cents! ;) I can't wait to read the new book. I had wondered why all your books disappeared from Amazon.

Again my condolences and best wishes.
D.

Unknown July 21, 2013 at 9:27 AM  

Napoleon Hill stated in his book, Think and Grow Rich, that every adversity, every failure, every heartache, carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit. If you are able to face life with that mentality, it makes it much easier to pick yourself up!

Pauline July 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM  

After working my way through about 7 publishers, I'm taking control of my books, for better or worse. Have you read The Business Rusch at all? Even before Linda's passing, I'd decided that I need to become a hybrid author, at least. So I indie published my first book in March. I also exploited my audio rights at the end of last year. There is something rather addictive about being paid monthly.

Pauline July 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM  

P.S. Linda always encouraged her authors to try the various types of publishing. She was supportive of her authors across the board. Last fall she resized my cover art so I could use it on my audio books, even though she wouldn't make anything from it. She was awesome.

Denise July 24, 2013 at 4:55 AM  

Thank you all for your feedback and comments. It's extremely helpful and gives me some ideas to research.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com