Monday, June 6, 2011

What are you reading?

It's been a while since we talked about what we're reading so I thought I would toss the subject out there and take a poll.

What are you reading?

Me, I'm reading two books right now. Actually, I'm reading one and listening to the other. Thank goodness for audiobooks because they make the work commute so much more bearable.


I am reading Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell and Patrick Robinson.

A friend of mine recommended this book and it sounded good, plus the setting of the story is Afghanistan-Pakistan, which is very much a today topic and where a friend of mine is stationed today. I had to run right out and get this book.

I picked it up yesterday and I can say that I started crying at page 7 and that’s just from some of the back story. I read to about page 30 yesterday and I have to say that I did not want to put it down. So far I highly recommend this book.

Here’s what the story is about:

Four US Navy SEALS departed one clear night in early July, 2005 for the mountainous Afghanistan-Pakistan border for a reconnaissance mission. Their task was to document the activity of an al Qaeda leader rumored to have a small army in a Taliban stronghold. Five days later, only one of those Navy SEALS made it out alive.

This is the story of the only survivor of Operation Redwing, fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, and the extraordinary firefight that led to the largest loss of life in American Navy SEAL history. His teammates fought valiantly beside him until he was the only one left alive, blasted by an RPG into a place where his pursuers could not find him. Over the next four days, terribly injured and presumed dead, Luttrell crawled for miles through the mountains and was taken in by sympathetic villagers who risked their lives to keep him safe from surrounding Taliban warriors.



On my commute to work, I am listening to David Baldacci’s book, The Sixth Man. This story revolves around two of my favorite characters, Sean King and Michelle Maxwell who are both ex Secret Service now turned private investigators.

Here’s what the story is about:

Edgar Roy-an alleged serial killer held in a secure, fortress-like Federal Supermax facility-is awaiting trial. He faces almost certain conviction. Sean King and Michelle Maxwell are called in by Roy's attorney, Sean's old friend and mentor Ted Bergin, to help work the case. But their investigation is derailed before it begins-en route to their first meeting with Bergin, Sean and Michelle find him murdered.

It is now up to them to ask the questions no one seems to want answered: Is Roy a killer? Who murdered Bergin? With help from some surprising allies, they continue to pursue the case. But the more they dig into Roy's past, the more they encounter obstacles, half-truths, dead-ends, false friends, and escalating threats from every direction. Their persistence puts them on a collision course with the highest levels of the government and the darkest corners of power. In a terrifying confrontation that will push Sean and Michelle to their limits, the duo may be permanently parted
.

This morning I just hit the point in the story Sean and Michelle find attorney Bergin dead, murdered. So far, so good!

What are you reading?

5 comments:

Mimi June 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM  

Well, ok... what I'm actually reading at the moment is 'Red Pyramid' by Rick Riordan. Tween book about Egyptian gods and kids with magician blood. (Same author as the 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians' series -- my daughter got me hooked.)

I also ran across a rough draft of a novella from a friend of mine the other day -- I'm really embarrassed because I completely forgot about it! So I need to read that and apologize to her.

More avant-garde and ambitious is the next thing in my queue: 'Pastoralia' by George Saunders. A New Yorker Magazine favorite, Saunders' writing is described as: hypnotic, uncanny, mixes a deadpan naturalism with a wicked sense of humor.... Well, we'll see, I guess.

J D Webb June 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM  

Just finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and am now starting Left Neglected by Lisa Genova. Loved her book Still Alice.

Therese June 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM  

Mimi, I just read Red Pyramid a few weeks ago-my son reads all Rick Riordan books! He just finished The Throne of Fire, the next in the series.

I just finished Divergent, a ya dystopian by Veronica Roth. Very good! And now I am reading The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers.

Unknown June 6, 2011 at 9:17 PM  

I have been reading Larrisa Ione's books to prepare for Authors After Dark :)

Denise June 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM  

I'm looking up all of these books.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com