Thursday, June 30, 2011

Tell us what you're reading

I don't know if it's the warm weather or the bum knee, but I have been a reading fool.

Last weekend I read two books while propping my knee up in the hopes that my knee doctor gives me the okay to go back to running. Yes, that was a good plan because he gave me the okay to work up to it.


Now I'm reading The Warrior Elite: The Forging of Seal Class 228 by Dick Couch.

After reading Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell and Patrick Robinson I wanted to learn more about these Navy SEALS and what they go through to become one. Marcus had mentioned Dick Couch's book so here I am.

Overview: With a postscript describing SEAL efforts in Afghanistan, The Warrior Elite takes you into the toughest, longest, and most relentless military training in the world.

What does it take to become a Navy SEAL? What makes talented, intelligent young men volunteer for physical punishment, cold water, and days without sleep? In The Warrior Elite, former Navy SEAL Dick Couch documents the process that transforms young men into warriors. SEAL training is the distillation of the human spirit, a tradition-bound ordeal that seeks to find men with character, courage, and the burning desire to win at all costs, men who would rather die than quit.

I have to say I am loving this book! The writer makes you feel as if you were right there, feeling every cold jolt, every muscle aches, and every ounce of determination that these men experience.


I'm also reading Night Watch by Suzanne Brockmann and another story about a Navy SEAL, albeit a fiction story.

I'm a hige Suzanne Brockmann fan and love every one of her books. Night Watch is no exception. I got home last night after a long day at work and then a haircut appointment. By the time I arrived home it was 9:30 at night and all I wanted to do was relax. I put up my feet, opened up the book and read the first 50 pages in 30 minutes. Nice!

Overview: When U.S. Navy SEAL chief Wes Skelly was sent to L.A. on assignment, he agreed to go on a blind date with beautiful single mother Brittany Evans, sister-in-law of a fellow SEAL. After all, he had been secretly in love for years, albeit with a woman who belonged to another man. So what did he have to lose?

Plenty, it turned out. Because suddenly the woman he'd thought he could never have was available. However, so was Brittany—and not only that, she was in danger. Because of him. He knew he could keep her safe. But why was he increasingly certain that he was the one in danger?


In the car, on my long commute to and from work I've been listening to Captivated by Nora Roberts.

Can you tell I am a rather eclectic reader? I like everything! Well, maybe not everything. I will try books the same way I will try food. I will try anything once and twice if I like it.

Overview: His interest in her was purely professional . . . Or so he told himself. Nash Kirkland had sought out the alluring Morgana Donovan to help him research his latest screenplay, though the hardheaded skeptic didn't believe for a minute she was what she professed to be. But, as Morgana revealed herself to him, Nash found himself falling under her bewitching spell. Nash had never trusted his feelings and always kept them in check. So how could he be sure the irresistible passion he felt for Morgana was real and not just some conjurer's trick?

Okay, every girl needs a little romance in her reading so this is mine this week. And besides, the heroine is a witch of long-standing Irish tradition. How can I not like this story?

3 comments:

Unknown June 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM  

I just started reading Changeling Dream by Dani Harper. This is book two and book one (Changeling Moon) was fantastic.

Short Description: In times of stress Jillian Descharme has always found calm in her dream of a great white wolf with haunting blue eyes. But she is startled when the visions return and this time seem so real. Late at night he comes to her, speaks to her, touches her. It's almost as if he's alive...

Denise June 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM  

Ooo. That's a great intro.

Ελλάδα March 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM  

I've read a bunch of Nora Roberts books, and I have to say that this is one of my favorites. The romance between Nash and Morgana was amazing and sweet and the ending just breaks my heart 'in a good, sweet way' The rest of the series was very good, but Captivated was my favorite.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com