Friday, July 1, 2011

Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns

What is it with men?

It’s okay for them to always want to “fix” it when all we want is for them to listen. But when the tables are turned they don’t want to hear us tell them what to do.

So what? I am just supposed to let a friend tell me his woes and frustrations and then nod my head. Let him give every excuse not to chase his dream even if the excuses are the investors’ excuses. If you want it, don’t let some jackass holding the purse strings stand in the way. Man up and go find another investor with a wad of cash!

Oh! And then when I throw all these ideas at him that he could do or show the investors that what he said made sense, what do I get in return? I get the “Investors aren’t emotional” crap.

I just have to say this because at this point I did want to get emotional and scream. Just because women are usually more passionate than men does NOT make us more emotional. Only a jackass of a man will say such an idiotic statement when he is losing the argument.

I wanted to say to him, “Look, pull your head out and screw it back on. You can sell yourself to anyone even someone who has no money and they will give you their last dollar.” He is that good.

I also wanted to tell him, “At least you have a business idea to invest in. Something tangible that an investor would want to spend money on. I don’t have that. My dream is not a tangible thing that I can say, ‘Please, Mr. Investor, can you give me some money while I write this book or these twenty books or as many books as I can until I die. Please, Mr. Investor, I want to quit my day job so I can pursue my passion of writing.’”

But I didn’t say that, because hello, I was focusing on him.

Now that I have ranted and gotten this out of my system let me tell you men and women. If you want something, then “man up” and go for it. Stop coming up with excuses or listening to someone else’s excuses and chase that dang dream all the way to the end goal.

Take the bull by the horns and make that dream a reality. Listen to the family and friends who push you and ignore the others who would hold you back. Cuz why are they holding you back? Not for your sake but for their own. If people volunteer help, don’t be a man and try to do it on your own, take the help because it might just get you to that end goal that much sooner.

In this life, we make it what we will. If you settle for something less then you get what you deserve. If you strive for something more, then guess what, you WILL get more.

4 comments:

Emma Leigh July 1, 2011 at 7:39 AM  

You got it, Denise! Excellent post.

Denise July 1, 2011 at 7:56 AM  

Thanks, Emma Leigh.
How goes the writing?

Dad July 1, 2011 at 10:09 PM  

I am a little surprised with your comment about "I wanted to tell him .....". I find that statement to be rather uncharacteristic of you. I thought sure you would "man up" and tell it like you really felt. Other than that, great advice!

Denise July 2, 2011 at 5:48 AM  

Thanks, Pops. Normally I would have said that but I wa being nice.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com