Sunday, July 10, 2011

While Mondays are for work, Sundays are for...


lazing about and grilling out.

I spent Sunday afternoon lazing about on my hammock in the backyard and smoking my first pork babyback ribs.

I told you I would share my homemade BBQ sauce with you so here you go.


The Sauce:
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar (vinegar is the best part of the recipe and key to a good bbq sauce)
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard (I actually used dry yellow mustard and the kind you put on a hot dog)
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (use Mexican chili powder if you want more heat to your sauce)
Tabasco sauce to taste (I use habanero Tabasco sauce)

To make the sauce:
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the vegetable oil. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining sauce ingredients, including Tabasco sauce to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Set aside. Pour some of the sauce in a small bowl to use for basting the ribs. (I don't actually baste. I leave sauce ro everyone's taste.)

The Ribs:
2 to 3 slabs baby back pork ribs

I went ahead and soaked the ribs the night before in a brine, the same brine I used on pulled pork. You don't have to do this but what the heck.

Make sure to remove the membrane from the back of the baby back ribs. It's totally disgusting but definitely the right thing to do. Then use the rub from the recipe I shared last week. Click here for rub recipe.


Cook the ribs for at least 4 hours at 200 to 220 degrees. The longer you cook the more tender and the more smokey flavor you get.

0 comments:

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com