Monday, August 8, 2011

Writing Goals - Do you have them?

Do you have writing goals? Are they daily or weekly goals?
Do you measure your goals? How?

Me, I am a writer who writes by the seat of her pants. Therefore, for me, setting a goal doesn't work. My goal is to write when I can.

For the most part this works. If I have more free time I write more. Less free time equals less writing. Gosh darn day job!

Of course, this is also why it takes me various times to complete a book. I've written a book in as little as three months to as long as a year (not including my first novel, which took forever). Can you say perfectionist?

This week, however, I have decided to make my self a goal. GASP!

Yup. My goal is to go home every evening, except Thursday, and write in my work-in-progress. Or maybe I'll go out to dinner and do some writing. Heck! I'm even going to do writing before my hair appointment on Wednesday. Now that's dedication.

I haven't lost my complete noodle so I am not setting a word count goal or any such thing. Instead, I am just going to write whatever pops into my head. If I write 100 words or 1000 words I will be a happy camper.

What about you? What's your writing goal?

2 comments:

MMJ August 8, 2011 at 11:35 AM  

When I am writing, a time goal is what works for me. 60 minutes for raw writing will produce about 1000-2000 words. That usually moves me along. When revising, the same time frame will no longer produce word counts and I do not care how long I spend on a chapter or paragraph or sentence; but I stop the session when my time is up.

Denise August 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

A time goal. Now I wouldn't have thought of that.

What if you're on a roll? Do you stop at the 60 minute mark.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com