Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What scary movie do you remember?

What things that go bump in the night made you afraid of the dark when you were a kid?

When I was a kid I saw this movie where these creatures/monsters came out of the fireplace in a basement only at night because they didn't like light. They would steal people.

I used to think that the movie was called The People Under the Stairs, but today I finally figured out that the movie that made me never want to sleep in the same room with a firplace was a made-for-TV horror film titled Don't be Afraid of the Dark.

The plot surrounds Sally and her husband Alex who inherit a Victorian mansion from Sally's recently deceased grandmother. Sally, exploring the house discovers a sealed and locked fireplace in the locked basement, which she thinks would make a lovely addition to her home. Little does she know why it’s been sealed up.

Despite ominous warnings from the estate's handyman, Sally opens the sealed fireplace that holds a hideous family curse. The curse comes in the shape of three little creatures, who want Sally’s soul to join them down the furnace. After seeing the creatures several times, and witnessing just what they’re capable of, Sally decides she wants to get out of the house. Her only protection is when she finds out the monsters are terrified of the light.

What movie had a huge impact on you as a youngster?

As a writer, I strive to build the kind of tension that this old film and many others and to have the reader not want to turn out the light or have to continue reading until they know they heroine is safe. . .or not.

4 comments:

Jim Colombo April 6, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

HI Denise,
I never really watched movies that went for the graphic shock factor. Even today I would rather watch the ones that implied scary situations such as Strangers on a Train or Double Indemnity. Murder is scary and strangely enough an emotional thing and that is brought out in these great old classics.

All of the scary stuff takes place in the mind of the murderer. that's what I like to see.

Jim

Cheri Allan April 6, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Denise- Yikes! All I can say is as a kid I thought "The Wizard of Oz" was scary (what sicko thought of flying monkeys?!), and I haven't even shown it to my kids. My oldest is nearly 11! I have always had a horribly vivid imagination and am very glad we have no fireplaces in dark and scary corners of our home, as I'd probably sleep badly tonight!

Ceri Hebert April 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

WOW!! As soon as I read your opening sentence I thought "that movie from when I was a kid with the nasty little creatures down in the furnace or fireplace that drag someone down with them....." Then you went on to describe it!! How weird!! Thanks for reminding me. Wonder if I can find it again.

There was another scary movie that took place on a plane that freaked me out. Can't remember the name of that one though.

Denise April 8, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Cheri - I never thought of Wizard of Oz as scary, but you're right about the monkeys.

Jim - I would rather read than watch a movie perhaps because I like my imagination better than most movies.

Ceri - Wasn't that like the wickedest scary thing you ever saw? The fact that I remember it now at age tells you something.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com