Saturday, October 9, 2010

Dewey Read-A-Thon Day

Twice a year Dewey's Read-a-thon hosts a real live read-a-thon. Bloggers read and post about what they read and encourage other participants. They arrange for cheerleaders to boost your reading and encourage you to not give up in those last 5 hours. There are mini-challenges throught the 24 hours and even prizes.

If you don't blog, don't worry about it. Visit here and share what you have read, what is keeping you going (like Cheetos, Mountain Dew, delivered pizza), what's your goal, and what's next on your list. Go sign-up at Dewey's Read-a-thon and let me know and we will keep each other awake and motivated for the next 24 hours.

Think of it - reading, reading, and reading!

It starts today at 8AM east coast time. So, if you've got a few books that have been on your reading list, or in your to-be-read pile then pull them out, grab a comfy chair, a good lamp, and a whole lot of snack food and start reading.

Now, you don't have to stop doing everything so if you have to go out to eat with your hubby or do some laundry then do it. Just take a book with you. While your date is boring you to death you can sneak off to the ladies' room and read a page or two. OH! E-books would be a great way to deal with that pesky date. Just set it on your seat while he chatters on about his work or his manliness.

Last time I think I finished 4 books, which isn't a lot, but like I said you can still do other things in between books.

My goal this time is to do 5 books. Hey! It's an improvement.

I'm starting my marathon with Carolina Moon and Dance Upon the Air by Nora Roberts.




Now I have to go to my Saturday morning lesson, but while I'm driving there I will be listening to an audiobook.

HAPPY READING!!





We've reached hour 9 and I've finished my first 2 books. WOOT! Not bad for someone who had to go shooting before she got to get cozy in her chair and a couple of good books.

Thanks to the cheerleaders for stopping by and leaving me notes of encouragement.

My next two books are a couple more by Nora Roberts. Hm...there must be a theme to this reading. I'm going to finish the Three Sister's Island Trilogy for my next two books. Next up:














A little over 8 hours left.
Whew! How goes the reading?

What has helped you stay awake, keep you reading? Did you prop your eyelids open with toothpicks? Splash your face with cold water?

Do you have a pile of junk food wrappers on the table sitting next to you?

Me - I took a break and made some spicy chili. I've switched chairs to give my hiney a rest. I haven't reached for the ceffeine yet, but that may be soon.

Right now I'm sucking on little jelly-filled raspberry candies. Ahh! SUGAR!

But the good news is. . . I've finished my first 4 books. YIPPEE! Now I'm going to get up and stretch, and yes, get some caffeine, and go find my next 2 books.

Keep up the good work. Keep reading!


Two hours left and we're almost there!



Can you believe you've been up for almost 24 hours? Can you believe you've been reading for almost 24 hours? Time flies when you're having fun!


Yea me! I have surpassed my goal.

How about you? How'd you do?





Finished Janet Evanovich's latest novel. Currently reading Tess Gerristen's latest release.















Last Read-a-thon Post:

I did it! This is my second Dewey Read-a-thon and the second time I managed to stay awake and read. Of course, my hiney is now flat, and I probably stink but can't tell from the morning breath related to all the junk food I ate to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. What exactly is bushy-tailed?

Oh! I'm also a little loopy and wired since I have now surpassed the hours of awakeness into the 27 hour mark. AND oh-my-gosh! I need food, real food.

Thanks Dewey's Read-a-thon for hosting a real live read-a-thon. I look forward to participating in the next one.

Thanks to all the cheerleaders! Your words and poems of encouragement were terrific motivation. You all deserve to have your pom-poms bronzed.

I have one favor though. Can you email us past participants to let us know ahead of time when the event will be? That way, little blonde flakes like me don't notice the event at the last minute. :-)

I will even donate a couple of books as prizes for the next Dewey Read-a-thon!

10 comments:

Maree October 9, 2010 at 9:39 AM  

Heee! :D Have a great one! :D

Anonymous October 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

(Non)traditional Buddhist readathon blessing:

Just as the books fill the shelves,
Pile together on the floor and stack up on the table
So may the joy of the readathon
Flow forth to brighten your day and lift your spirit.
Books already read, books in progress and books yet to be read.

By the power of every word on the page
May your book be delightful,
As scary as Lovecraft’s Cthulhu
Or as sweet as a box of See’s candy.

Let the power of the images evoked by words
Keep you stay awake long through the night
May no obstacle impede
Your day filled with books.

For all of those who are reading today
Who follow in the path of Dewey
May your day be filled with the four blessings
Of fabulous books, tasty snacks, comfy chairs and joy.

Janel October 9, 2010 at 11:34 AM  

Happy Reading!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity October 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

The party’s starting to pop
And you’re already having fun.
Don’t let the momentum stop
And get some reading done!

Good luck with your goals today!

Anonymous October 9, 2010 at 5:02 PM  

1, 2, 3, 4
Hope your book isn’t a bore
5, 6, 7, 8
And your readathon is going great!

Denise October 9, 2010 at 5:20 PM  

Thanks you all for the encouragement. Two down and more to go!

Cass October 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM  

A thought to mull over: “The best of a book is not the thought which it contains, but the thought which it suggests; just as the charm of music dwells not in the tones but in the echoes of our hearts.” -- John Greenleaf Whittier

Enjoy your reading!

Elizabeth @ Miss Wisabus October 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM  

It's getting late and you're doing great!
Hope you're enjoying your selections.
Just a few more hours and you can do it!

- Elizabeth (Team Irony)

Marg October 10, 2010 at 5:45 AM  

I think Nora Roberts is a great choice for readathon reading. I find her books hard to put down at the best of times!

Congratulation on your readathon achievements.

Denise October 10, 2010 at 6:10 AM  

Thanks Marg! and I agree. I like books I cannot put down and Nora Roberts falls into that category.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com