Thursday, May 26, 2011

Simple pleasures in life

It's the simple things in life that bring pleasure to us.

For me, this past weekend it was a couple of small things that made me smile. As a matter of fact, Saturday was filled with little pleasures.

Saturday started out by having breakfast with a couple of friends. Always nice to share a meal and a chat with friends.

When I left Big Easy Bagel I went to my favorite post office to see Jane and give her some books to ship off to the folks who donated to my "give a book, get a book" giveaway for the troops. Looking forward to shipping more books this Memorial Day weekend.

After the post office, I did a quick run into Staples to pick up some photo printer paper so I can print pictures from my trip to Ireland. Cannot wait to get some framed!

As I walked out to my car I noticed an older couple doing a walk around my SUV and talking. When I approached to put my bag in the car I asked if they wanted to see inside the vehicle. That little question sparked a very nice 15 minute conversation about SUVs, BMW, and I learned about the BMW Car Club of America. I left the parking lot with a smile on my face.

Then I went to an event that occurs only once a year. I went to St. Philips Greek Food Festival. Oh, yeah! I look forward to this event one weekend a year.

Why? Because it's the only time I can get a good Gyro with the best tsaziki sauce. This year was especially sweet. A woman was standing in line be hind me who and she had never had a gyro or even heard of it before.

Okay, yes, my chin dropped to my chest because I was flabbergasted by her statement. I proceeded to tell her what it was and how much she would love it. I even offered to buy her something different if she didn't like it. I mean, we were at a Greek food fest so there was plenty of options to choose from.

Later in the event, the woman found me stuffing my face with dessert and told me how she really enjoyed the gyro and thanked me for recommending it to her. She loved it so much she got another one to take home with her for dinner. I told her not to forget dessert.

What was for dessert? Loukoumades!! Loukoumades are little honey puff pastries topped with cinnamon, sugar, and walnuts. OH-MY-GOSH! They are fantastic!

I left the festival fat and very happy.

On my way home, I saw a sign for a flower sale. Well, if you know anything about me you know I love flowers. I whipped down the street (shh! don't tell the local police), saw the tables lined with flowers and immediately parked. And yes, I bought some flowers. I bought some Irises.

Who wouldn't be smiling after purchasing a couple of gorgeous flowers from a local garden club?

Oh, I could go on and on about how my neighbor who moved in last year across the street came over to see the new vehicle as soon as I pulled into the drive. It's a guy thing! Or how the magician who is here performing the spring shows at Canobie Lake Park dropped by to share a couple of beers and catch up since he left last summer. He loved my garden and deck. He saw it before I stained and finished it so now he's seen it and says my paradise is looking like a small oasis. So true!

What's the moral of me sharing all of this with you?

It's the little things in life that bring us pleasure. Remember to stop and smell the flowers, enjoy the small moments, and smile when they happen. You'd be surprised how good you feel when you do.

Go out and smile today!

2 comments:

Emma Leigh May 27, 2011 at 5:16 AM  

Sometimes we need that reminder to enjoy the little things in life.

Denise May 27, 2011 at 7:03 AM  

Don't we though. Thanks, Emma Leigh. Hope you enjoy your long weekend.

PS - We really need to get together soon to celebrate!

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com