Thursday, February 3, 2011

Telephone SCAM my Dad

Telephone SCAM my Dad? No way!

The brief story you are about to read below is true and happened to my father this week and told in his own words. Please read and beware.

It all started out with a call from 891-536-8430. The caller identified herself and asked me to confirm my name. She then related to me that I was a recipient of a Government grant of $10,000. My response was that I had not applied for any grant. She then assured me that I was selected at random and the grant was indeed for me without any application. She told me that all I would have to do was to go to the nearest Western Union station and collect the money that would be transferred.

Now, here comes the catch. I would have to bring along a picture ID and have $200 available in cash or a credit card. These funds were for a security check and would be returned upon completion of the entire transaction. Upon arriving at Western Union, I was to call 209-890-9011and I would then be given the necessary instructions for the “security check.” I responded by stating that I thought this was a SCAM. She assured me that it was not and indicated that I could verify this by checking out a web site, www.grantsus.net.

Sure enough, there is a web site with this address and yes, the telephone number given is listed on the site. However, that site is really for applying for grants. Nothing about the site indicates its validity as being part of the government. They do indicate on the site that they have been seen on CNN and the four major TV networks. Of course, this proves nothing.

After this conversation and my falsely agreeing with the person on the phone that I would go to Western Union, I tried to dial the calling number. When I did, the call immediately went to an announcement after dialing 1-891, informing me that 891 is not a valid area code. After not appearing at Western Union in the agreed upon time, I started receiving calls from both the numbers listed above. I chose not to answer. The calls continued to come in that evening and the morning of the following day.

I have reported this information to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office so they would be alert and could use their communications to alert folks in the county if they so choose. The Deputy responding to my call was extremely courteous and agreed that it was a SCAM. He opened up a report and placed it on record.

The moral of this story is that it was indeed a SCAM and you should be aware that you should not fall into this type of trap. I hope that this information is helpful to you and increase your awareness that there are folks out there that will attempt to bilk you out of your hard earned money.

1 comments:

Anonymous March 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM  

These clowns are still out there operating. Please don't be a victim. I found this blog by searching for Gary Godwin scam. Same (202) and (203) area codes but different numbers. Same request for a processing fee.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com