Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tom Sawyer Day in Florida


If you saw a sign that said, Tom Sawyer Day, what would you think? Perhaps people were getting together to read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Uh, no. Tom Sawyer Day in my father's mind is a community event to wash the community fence.

First of all, you need to know that not every person is aware of who Tom Sawyer is. My father did receive several phone calls asking that question.

On the other hand, everyone knew what BYOB meant. Or did they?

Actually, they did not. In this case, BYOB was not bring your own booze, but stood for bring your own bucket.

The incentive for this laborious project that encompassed 850 feet of fencing was free drinks, of the water and soda variety.

Yes, this was a successful venture! Thanks to 12 people who brought their buckets, brushes, and their great attitudes for wanting to experience literature in the true sense of the word. . .by washing a fence just as Tom Sawyer did.

Wait! Tom Sawyer didn't wash the fence. He somehow convinced the other boys that washing the fence was fun.

Ahhh. Now I get it. My dad played Tom Sawyer today. He got others to do the work all in the guise of it being fun.

Lucky for him everyone did have a blast hanging out with their neighbors, getting wet, and enjoying the sunshine.

Great job, Dad!

1 comments:

Keith February 19, 2011 at 9:19 PM  

Denise,

You do know that you just ruined my reputation. :) I was sure that I had everyone in the neighborhood convinced that I was doing the lion's share of the work and that they were having fun. I guess I am going to have to come up with another ploy for the next time the fence needs washing.

Loveya,
Dad

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com