Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Writing “The End”

Is there any more heady feeling for an author than writing the words, “THE END” at the end of a manuscript?

Since I wrote those words on my fifth manuscript this past Monday evening, I can honestly say, “No!”

It’s the best. You get this warm, fuzzy feeling inside you that kind of worm itself around inside your body until it bubbles up to the surface. Then you want to shout your giddiness to the world.

Yes, I did just that. I opened up my back door and yelled, “I did it! The End!!”

Who cares that it was only ten degrees outside and that I was standing in my yoga pants and a tank top yelling this into the cold night air at the top of my lungs. Who cares that my neighbor called to see if I was okay. All that matters is that writing THE END was well worth getting a little frost bite on my tiny tootsies. Not to mention other places that I won’t mention. [wink-wink]

It does not matter how many days or months an author labors over the writing of a story. It could be three or thirty months. It is all a labor of love, rather like being pregnant for nine months and then pushing that baby out. It’s all in reaching the end target of producing that wonderful child or story that will not happen until the words THE END are written on that last page or you’re holding your squirming, beautiful child in your arms.

I say rejoice in your ending, shout it out to the world, and celebrate.

Because tomorrow, the next story will come and you will have no choice to start your another labor or love.

6 comments:

Therese February 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM  

So true! Just finished a Christmas story in January. While I was thrilled to type THE END, I was lost without those characters. So...I waited a few days...maybe a week...and I started writing my new WIP...which is currently nameless but going very well :) I love, love, love this main character and it's going to kill me to say goodbye to her when I type THE END! Good luck with the newly finished manuscript!

Denise February 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

Therese - Congratulations on your latest THE END and the new WIP.

So much fun to be in love with your characters!

David Tocher February 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM  

Congratulations on completing the manuscript, Denise! I'm looking forward to reading it when it's in print!

Hopefully I can type the words THE END on this never-ending brainstorm of mine.

All the best,
David

Denise February 23, 2011 at 12:56 PM  

David,

Thank you very much! I look forward to celebrating your THE END soon.

Unknown February 23, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

Oh I cannot wait.

I am rushing to the back door in my yoga pants and tank top as I type. Surely my neighbors will ignore my shouts of "DENISE WROTE THE END" "WHOPPEE"! I will close the door quickly and avoid freezing my bits :)

Congratulations love!

Denise February 23, 2011 at 2:48 PM  

You're hysterical!

Thanks, Robin.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com