Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Journey to a half-marathon

A friend of mine sent me a link to a half-marathon race in Ireland. Talk about a siren song. I only debated doing it for about a day. The next day I signed up.

Nope, I have never run a half-marathon in my life. Only the past year or so have I run 5Ks or 5-mile races. But hey! Why not set a goal for yourself, right? And if you're going to set a goal, you might as well make it BIG.

I have eight months to get prepared for this race and I thought I'd invite you along for the journey. I've already done two 5K runs this new year and I've signed up for thirteen more. These races will keep me motivated for the long-term goal.

Along the way though, I have to get in shape and get ready. I'm starting out my journey with the Couch-to-5K workout and I'll continue on from there.

There is no dieting in this effort. Only continuing to eat right.

The workout to prepare for the races is key. Especially when I'm one of those people who can't actually run. I mean, yes, I can run, but not gracefully and not without a lot of sucking wind. According to some friends, the way past this is to try the Couch-to-5K workout for nine weeks.

Join me for the fun and the routine and let's see what happens.

Week 1: Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Brisk five-minute warmup walk
Alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes
Cool down for another five minutes

Tuesday and Thursday are cross-training days. These days you build muscles or play another sport so you strengthen.

My Tuesday and Thursday workouts Week 1 include walking on a high incline, abdominal exercises, along with light weights for arms and legs.

Hope you'll join me on this journey and share your experience and fun.

0 comments:

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com