Friday, January 1, 2010

My blondest moment yet!

If this is how 2010 is going to start I can tell I am in big trouble.

On this first day of 2010 yours truly pulled the blondest things I have ever done.
Yours truly locked herself inside my home office and was stuck there for over an hour. I had just finished painting the trim work and the door and cleared the room out so I could yank up the carpeting for the hardwood floors to be installed next week.

When I went to yank up the carpeting I shut the door so it would be out of the way. When I went to open the door the knob refused to turn. I removed the tape I put on to I didn't get paint on and tried again. No good. I couldn't get the lock to turn and the only thing I had in the room was my knife. No phone, no nothing.

I managed to get the door handle off by unscrewing it with my little knife but still couldn't get the knob to budge. What the heck was I going to do? I tried taking the hinges off but with no other tools in the room that was not happening.

If I thought I could have squeezed out the window (not a normal window but one of those crtank open ones)and dropped to the deck without breaking my neck or leg I might have tried that approach. Not sure if my butt would have made it through the crank out window.

So what does a resourceful woman like myself do when pounding and rattling the door does not work? I resorted to screaming out the window yelling for help. It was at least a good thirty minutes of me yelling, "Help!" until my neighbor finally heard me. And only because he had just gone out to the garage to work on his car.

There - that little story should put a smile on your face.

One good thing about this little incident - it will make a great scene in a book. :-)

Welcome to the New Year. Sheesh!

11 comments:

Emma Leigh January 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

Your story just made my day!!! Will certainly make for a great scene in one of your books.

Happy New Year!

Unknown January 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM  

LOL! Glad you are safe! From a fellow blonde... I would have tried throwing my self at the door :)

Denise January 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

Thanks very much!

If the door had opened out I would have gladly broken the thing.

Anonymous January 1, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

Denise -- I'm cringing and laughing at the same time. Glad it worked out. Happy New Year!


Gina Leuci
www.ginaleuci.com

Denise January 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM  

My neighbors did the same thing - laugh and cringe. Then help me.

kgoodman January 1, 2010 at 9:30 PM  

Denise,

Mom got a great kick out of your incident. :) Of course, I would say "Here's yoour sign."

Love ya,
Dad

Denise January 2, 2010 at 6:45 AM  

Thanks, Dad.
Glad I was able to put a smile on mom's face. Just remind her that I am your daughter. :-)

Cynthia Spurr January 2, 2010 at 11:05 AM  

Thanks for the laugh.

Denise January 2, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

Cynthia - Glad I could offer a little humor on a Saturday morning.
Now go write something. :-)

Michelle January 4, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

that's so funny - you are a riot! - lucky the neighbours are within earshot - perhaps keep your cell in your pocket while renovating D. :)

Denise January 5, 2010 at 6:21 AM  

Thanks, Michelle.

Yes, I have the phone handy from now on. Although I prefer to leave it elsewhere so I don't get interrupted. :-)

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com