Monday, March 29, 2010

How many people can say they've played a cow bell?

What does a writer do on a Saturday night?

This writer went out with some friends. . .notice the picture. Don't be frightened by the scary looking guy sitting on my left. That's David, the owner of Big Easy Bagel in Manchester and on my right is his wife and partner, Lori. She is obviously the brains and the beauty behind Big Easy, but shhh! Don't tell David.



Saturday morning, I went for my bagel sandwich and while chatting with Lori, she invited me to hang out with them at Whippersnappers to listen and watch a band called Mama Kicks.

Picture below is lead singer Lisa and in background is drummer David.



If you ever need inspiration for a story, go watch Mama Kicks. Not only was the music fantastic, but they were great entertainers. Every had a terrific time and yours truly got to people watch and take mental notes.

Seriously, someone tell the guy wearing the Boston Bruins hockey jersey that he is so NOT hot. Go put a real shirt on.

The older guy who wore a red t-shirt and a sweat jacket that was way too small should get a grip.

The woman who wore this ugly black lace top that showed basically everything, not to mention the way she danced pretty much gave you the impression that she did everything. . .should maybe get a room some place.

Then there was Nana Nancy. I call her Nana because she was by far the oldest person in the place. Let me tell you this woman had fun. She shook her polyester clad booty along with her gray hair. Go Nancy!

As for me, I sat at my front row table drinking and grinning like a fool, tapping my toes all night long while I mentally catalogued the events and the people of the evening.

Until the end that is. Then when I had just returned from the ladies' room and found myself being summoned on stage by David the guy playing. He was a blast to watch, but yeah, no, I did not want to get up on stage. Are you kidding me?

Like I had any say.



To my complete embarassment I got up on stage and was handed a cow bell and a drum stick. A cow bell? Seriously?

Now, I've had voice lessons, even worked with a musician to write a song, but no, I have never played an instrument. No laughing!

Luckily, Lisa, the lead singer of Mama Kicks coaxed Lori up on stage to play the tambourine. The Pink Boxes as Lisa so named Lori and I, played back up to the group on the last song of the night.

Do we look hot or what?

Okay, maybe not hot as in sexy, but hot as in those lights are bright.

We had a blast and we will be back to Whippersnappers to see Mama Kicks on April 10, 2010. Mark your calendars and join the fun!



8 comments:

Betty Gordon March 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

Denise, all I can say is WOW! What fun!

A cowbell -- that one got left out of my musical education.

Betty Gordon

Pauline March 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

LOLOLOL! I don't know what else to say. You look great, though!

Cheri Allan March 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

Good for you! You'll only regret the fun you thought you were too cool, mature, refined, [fill-in-the-blank] to try. I see you are clearly confident enough to ignore all those misgivings! :) I'm sure it was a blast!

Denise March 29, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

Thanks ladies!

Clearly I have no issue in being unrefined and embarassing myself.

Shannon Baker March 30, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

Next time you wear the black lacy top and shake your polyester clad... oh wait, that's two different looks.

Christy Tillery French March 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

Denise, I had fun reading this and looking at the pics! You go, girl!

Denise March 30, 2010 at 2:15 PM  

Thanks Shannon and Christy.

Next time you all are up this way you should join the fun!

Ceri Hebert April 3, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

*raises hand* I played a cowbell. And a triangle, cymbals, jingle bells and a tambourine amongst other instruments that didn't require me to actually read music. :)

Looks like you had a great time!

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com