Monday, March 22, 2010

What word or words best describe you?

When I was a kid, one word best described me – SHY. Here is where most people who know me now give a choked laugh. Yes, I was one of those kids who wouldn’t shake the preacher’s hand after church, who wouldn’t pay for her own apple pie at McDonald’s, and who would rather squeeze her legs shut and pray that she could hold the gallon of water she just drank than ask a salesperson where the ladies’ room was located.

Today, the last word anyone would ever use to describe me is shy, even though I really am.

One word that has always stuck with me, even from childhood is INDEPENDENT. My parents taught me that if I wanted something or needed something done to not wait around for others, do it yourself. Here I am at the wise age of never you mind, and I am still independent. Perfect example is that while I could have hired someone to paint the interior of my house and it would have been done a lot sooner, I am just as capable and could get the satisfaction of saying, “I did it.” Every day I wake up and see my Caliente Red dining room walls and I smile because I painted those four coats, painted the bright white baseboards, arches, and crown molding, and even caulked afterwards.

Starting a few years back, I heard the words ENIGMA, PARADOX, RENAISSANCE WOMAN as the prevalent descriptors for my personality and me. I’ll be honest, I looked at these people with my brows furrowed in complete disbelief and thought, “Are you kidding me?” These are people I know well and they think I’m a mystery, a contradiction, and a woman with a wide-ranging intellect. It’s funny, but I hear these three words even more often today.

While I still believe “what you see is what you get” when it comes to me, I can see where some of these words may apply. Here’s this little blonde woman who by day manages a team of software engineers and is considered kickass at work then she goes home at night to write fiction curled up in her favorite jeans either sitting on her deck listening to the roller coaster or sitting in front of her fireplace. Then on the weekends, she tucks her mass of blonde hair underneath a Boston Sox cap, throws on the ugliest shorts or trashiest jeans she owns just to go outside and get her hands dirty by playing in the garden or attempting to do things in the house that many people either would leave be or would hire someone.

To this end, I tell you that I am all of the above and am the better for it because I have reached a balance…or almost. Sometimes the scale tips one way more than another, but it also always tips back.

So – what words best describe you? Why?

9 comments:

Gina L March 22, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

Denise, I was shy, too. A bookworm with my nose forever behind those pages. Somewhere within the passage of time, I came into my own and have been known to speak my mind or go nose to nose with an adversary. Get me in a roomful of strangers and I spend more time listening than talking. I may not be called shy, now, but I'm still an introvert at heart. I need to take time to enjoy the quiet. Chaos makes me itchy. As for being independant... if it needs to get done, I do it. Snow? Yes, I'll shovel. Lawn needs mowed? Yep. Although I've been known to kill a few lawnmowers, so I think I've been banned from that. But I think I'll leave the actual home repairs to my husband.

Gina Leuci

Denise March 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

Good morning Gina!

LOL! I can see the lawnmower all mangled up right now with tree limbs sticking out from underneath it while it's stuck in mud sludge.

Jim Colombo March 22, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

Hi Denise,
I like to use the word "genius", but the world may want to debate that! hehe
I think that I have been described as shy also. I'm not sure about that either.

While it's true that I would rather listen than speak... Ask questions than answer them... and generally let someone else be the center of attention, I can and do make my own way in the world.

My quiet nature has shaped my life in it's own unique way. I am used to doing things by myself, although many times I don't want to. I would rather spend time with one or two friends than at a large party, but I am working on becoming more comfortable in larger gatherings.

I'm learning to expand my comfort zones because self-development is what we should strive for, but I know I'm strong on the inside. I enjoy being me.

I guess that a word I would use to describe myself is "orange". People have to peel away the protective outer coat to get to the good part inside!

What a great question. The kind that makes one think, before answering.

Jim

Denise March 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

HI Jim!

Great descriptive word for you. Thanks.

Emma Leigh March 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

Excellent post, Denise. As a child I would have been described as independent, out-going. I always had to be the center of attention. Now as an adult, I have been told that I am "hard". Guess life adventures have a way of shaping the person you become.

CJ West March 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM  

Great post. Shy? Hard to believe, but I can relate. I'm looking forward to the next time this shy guy gets to ham it up with you in front of our 250 closest friends.

You've come a long way!

CJ

Denise March 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

Thanks CJ. I think I have too and I'm looking forward to some fun together again.

Emma Leigh - Hard is not a word I wouls use to describe you. You're soft and squishy like a marshmallow Easter egg

Keith Goodman March 22, 2010 at 10:03 PM  

Denise,

Having known you for all of your life, I would say the best description of you is "Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the road." In one word, impatient. If it can't be done today, you will not wait until tomorrow.

Love ya,

Denise March 22, 2010 at 10:14 PM  

OH! This is the reason we don't tell our parents where to find us on the internet.

Thanks Dad.

And yes, I lack patience, but I make up for it in persistence. :-)

Love you too!

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com