Sunday, February 21, 2010

My neighbor is my real-life hero...

As an author, I write about heroes all the time. Fictional heroes with qualities that may or may not exist in people we know. Today, I'm sharing with you one of my real heroes, not in the sense of saving me from some unknown danger...although, my neighbor has done that.

Actually, my neighbor has come to my rescue more than once. He watched out for me when I had an experience with a stalker when I first moved into my home. He constantly checked up on strange cars showing up in my drive. He was instrumental in preventing the person from buying the house across the street from me.

And you all remember earlier this winter when I accidentally locked myself in my office and had to scream out the window for someone to come get me? This is that neighbor. He truly is my hero.

His name is Kenny and he owns Pellerin Siding in Salem NH. I LOVE him! In a neighborly way. :-) His wife, Donna, might get upset if I don't add that in there.

A couple of week's ago I was chatting with Kenny's wife and I told her how what a shame it was that the builders who constructed my house didn't make the deck bigger so it extended to the dining room part of the house. Then they could have put in an 8FT slider instead of an 8FT window. Two things happened then. First, she laughed because she wonders what else I will come up with to do in or to my house. Then she reminded me that decks and stuff is what Kenny's company does.

Next thing I know, Kenny comes down, takes some measurements, gives me a quote and BAM! Yes, I am extending my deck. DOUBLE the width!! Not only did we make the arrangements but they started it...in the snow.

Yesterday morning when I woke and was getting ready to leave I glanced out my window and saw floor boards on the deck. WOOT! I took pictures Oh - and if you look real close you will see the offending ladder that broke my finger last weekend in the window. GRRR!

After leaving the house at 6:30 AM, having my Saturday morning bagel with friends, attending the WZID Women's Expo (great event), finally locating two lampshades I needed for my spare bedroom, I returned home about 3:30 in the afternoon. When I arrived, I found two Pellerin trucks in my driveway and the guys packing up. My deck was done!!

Holy cow, can you believe it? I wake up and it's more than halfway there and before I go to bed, I have a new deck. Truly, it was only a matter of days.

It's beautiful. They are my heroes! Wouldn't they be your heroes too?



Thank you Kenny, Paul, Paul, David for the terrific job. Can't wait to do the door next and maybe a front porch. Thank you Donna for the great suggestion.

Now my summertime writing spot will be so much nicer! Bring on the sun, flowers, and BBQ. Time to write outdoors.

10 comments:

Ceri Hebert February 21, 2010 at 8:33 AM  

What a good deal! And I'd prefer a hero like that, someone more lifelike than some superman. The deck looks great!

Denise February 21, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

He's a great guy. I'm very lucky to have such terrific neighbors and friends.

CJ West February 21, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

Nice. Two questions. 1) When does the slider go in? 2) When are you inviting me up for a writer's retreat in the NH woods?

CJ

Denise February 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

CJ - Probably another month before the slider goes in. We're actually putting in a slider and moving the big window to the front of house. :-)

And a NH woods writer's retreat is a terrific idea. As soon as it gets warm. Hmm...maybe May?

Ceri Hebert February 21, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

oooh I like that idea!! Of course I have a huge artist colony right here in my town, but I don't think I'm on the same level as they are and I think the application process would do me in.

GinaL February 21, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

Denise
The deck looks great and yes, real-life heros walk among us. It's great when they are recognized. Lifting a glass to your neighbor hero and to all those who don't think twice about helping others.


Gina Leuci

The Belle in Blue February 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM  

So put him in your next book, Denise! Good guys like that deserve to be preserved for posterity!

Denise February 22, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

Gina - Good idea to toast the hero next door.

Belle - hm...I might have to add him in as a character. :-)

Pauline February 22, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

What a great deck and a great guy! We need more guys like him the world. And I mentally kicked the ladder that downed you. :-)

Denise February 22, 2010 at 4:42 PM  

Hi Pauline - Thanks for the mental kick of my ladder. It deserved it.

Yes, this world could use a lot more good guys like Kenny. He and his guys did a terrific job on my deck. I love it!

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com