Sunday, September 6, 2009

Book-A-Week Challenge Interview with Kristin Callender

Book-A-Week Challenge Interview with Kristin Callender author of "The Truth Lies in the Dark"

If you didn't have a chance to read it you can pick up a copy of Kristin's book at Amazon.

Paperback: 188 pages
Publisher: BluewaterPress LLC
ISBN-10: 1604520140
ISBN-13: 978-1604520149

Find out more about Kristin Callender at her blog http://kcsbooks.blogspot.com

In the meantime, check out Kristin's interview below, and leave her a comment or question.

When and why did you begin writing?

I have always been drawn to writing, but never thought of it as a career option for me until I was an adult. I shouldn't admit this but I was not the most motivated student in school. Writing was the one area that came easy to me. It was a great outlet for my over active imagination. I played with the idea of writing a book for a long time and when Nick and Amanda's story (The Truth Lies in the Dark) came to me I knew I had to sit down and give writing an honest try.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I had a hard time considering myself a writer. It wasn't until I had my first book published that I felt worthy of the title. Now I see it completely different. You are a writer from the moment you pick up a pen, or pull up a keyboard, and bring an idea to life. I tell people now that I will continue to be a writer, whether I become a published author again is up to the editor :)

What genre are you most comfortable writing?

I am still trying different styles and genres to see which fits me best. Picture me in a dressing room asking my husband, "Does this cozy mystery make my butt look big?" No, seriously I loved writing mystery and have a few more ideas and am now finishing a contemporary romance. So far I have been letting the stories choose me. If they yell out loud enough I write them. I imagine that eventually I will find my niche, but in the mean time I am enjoying the variety.

Who came up with the book cover for your book? Why?

My teenage son, Michael actually did the cover for The Truth Lies in the Dark. He painted a picture of New York City at night for a high school Art class and friends of mine suggested that it would make a great cover. I cropped it and sent to my publisher and they agreed. I didn't realize until later how rare it is to have so much control over the cover choice. I love that I get to share this with my son.

If your book was made into a movie who do you picture playing the part of the hero and heroine?

The Truth Lies in the Dark could be made into a Lifetime movie. A film producer loved the story and will be pitching to cable executives. I will hopefully be able to come back and tell you who was actually chosen to play the parts of Nick and Amanda. I have just extended the end date for a contest promoting this event. Stop by and leave a comment. The amount of comments received determines the amount of prizes offered. http://kcscontests.blogspot.com

What is your favorite way to take a break from writing?

Some days the writing takes over and I find it hard to break away for anything; food, phone calls, even the kids. Then there are days when you just don't feel it. Those days I love taking a walk with my music to clear my head, or I pick up a good book. Then there is always Twitter, which provides some comic relief and helpful writing advice.

What are your current projects?

As I shared earlier, I am finishing up a contemporary romance. I also have a few other stories started that I hope to get back to and of course new ones are always popping up. I would also love to try some children's books too. It is harder now to find time to sit and write. There is so much about marketing, promoting, and networking to learn. Juggling these new hats, along with work, family and friend commitments has been a challenge. I give a lot of credit to authors like you, who have found a way to do it all and have time for a Book-a-week challenge.

Thanks for stopping by for my interview and thank you Denise for doing this. It was a lot of fun. Good luck on your future Book-a-week challenges. I'll be back to check them out.

~ Kristin Callender : )

http://kcsbooks.blogspot.com
http://kcscontests.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/KCBOOKS

6 comments:

Jacqueline Seewald September 6, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

Very nice interview! I agree, Kristin, that it's hard to consider yourself an author until you've actually published a novel.
But that first published book is the sweetest one of all.

Jacqueline Seewald
THE DROWNING POOL, Five Star 2009

Joe Prentis September 6, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Kristin,

I think you have made a wise decision in exploring the different genres before settling into writing just one type of story. Readers are looking for escape and adventure. I have read too many books where the author writes the same story over and over again. There is nothing wrong with searching for the type of story that suits you best.

Loretta Wheeler September 6, 2009 at 11:03 AM  

I have to agree with the previous posts. It is difficult to consider yourself an author until you've published something. I always said "I'm writing..."

And I too am trying different genres, but I am more at home with thriller's it seems:)

I loved the idea that you were allowed to participate in the cover choice:) That's always important to the author. I've heard author's say that the novel cover just wasn't what they had in mind at all. It's such a personal thing, that when you hold it in your hand, you want to feel the cover is truly an extension of your work...so congratulations on every aspect!

Kristin Callender September 6, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

Hi Jaqueline, Joe, and Loretta,
Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read my interview with Denise.

Jacqueline~ You are right. The 1st published book is the sweetest and so far has been very exciting.

Joe~ I like trying out new genres and styles, not only to find which is best but it also keeps me excited about writing.

Loretta~ I loved writing The Truth Lies in the Dark. The mystery was fun to unfold. I find that I am more critcal with myself in my latest Contemporary Romance. I am learning as I go and will let you know what one feels more natural :)

Craig Hart September 6, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

Good interview! I've known Kristin online for a while, now, and I always like to see her pop up on blogs and websites. She always has interesting stuff to say.

And if you haven't already, you should all go to her blog and check out the contest she was talking about. It would be awesome if her book got turned into a movie. Let's all help that happen!

Charlotte Phillips September 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM  

Hi Kristin,

Thanks for stopping by and sharing. I love that you are trying your hand at multiple genres and was wondering if you are also playing with POV.

Thanks,
Charlotte Phillips

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com