Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Meet my favorite hero!

Last week I posted a blog asking authors to interview their favorite hero and post their answers. The link to that blog post is here. We want to meet your hero! Check out who has posted.

Well, in my haste to set that blog post up, it kind of slipped my mind that, oh, duh! I might want to share my favorite hero too. What can I say, yes, I am a blonde.

Anyway, please meet Jake. Sometimes a secondary character, always a lover of women, and my favorite hero.

Interview of Jake:
1. What is the name of the book where we would meet you? What genre is it?

“You first meet me in It Happens in Threes, a romantic-suspense, Denise has coined techno-romantic thriller. Of course, Denise loves me so much, she had to include me in her second novel, Killer Bunny Hill.

As a matter of fact, she was halfway through the writing of Killer Bunny Hill when she started putting my name in place of the hero’s. HA!” [He slapped his well-worn cowboy hat against a jean-clad thigh.]

"My story, where you really get to know me is Connect the Dots."

2. Who wrote the book?

“That would be Denise Robbins.”

3. What do you think of the author? You can tell us the truth.

“Denise is this short, funny blonde, spitfire of a woman that likes my southern drawl and my ass in a pair of jeans. What do you think? [Jake spun on booted heel and flashed his butt and a wicked grin.]

“On the other hand, she did take three novels to get me and mine out there for the world to see. Sheesh! Did she really need to take so long?”

4. Tell us a little about yourself. How would you describe your appearance? More than cute or drop dead gorgeous, give us enough detail to get a clear idea of how you look.

“Well, I can tell you when Shugar, oh, sorry. When Ruby, my boss’s fiancée from It Happens in Threes meets me, she refers to me as a Neanderthal.” [Jake leaned back and rubbed his hand over his chin.]

“As a matter of fact, so does Samantha in Killer Bunny Hill. I’m a rather tall guy and my size does tend to intimidate. . .at first.” [A sly grin spread across his face making Jake’s green eyes twinkle.]

“But then, I have a way with the ladies. I flash my mist green eyes at them, give a wink, and lay on my southern drawl and snap.” [Jake snapped his fingers.]

“The women become my ally and I’m theirs.” [Jake sat down in a chair, stretched out his long legs in front of him, and crossed his lean, muscular arms over the chest that fit his polo shirt.]

5. What character are you in the book? Are you the hero, the best friend, the sidekick, or someone else?

“That depends on the book, Darlin’. In the first two books I get to play keeper of the women or bodyguard, whichever term you prefer. It’s a tough job but somebody has to do it.” [He winked then set his hat on his knee.]

“In Connect the Dots, I am the finally the hero. [Jake drew out the word finally long and breathy.]

6. Is there a specific reason why you are in the story? Don't give us any story spoilers, but share some teasers if you want.

“Well, yeah, I have to save the ladies. You know the whole damsel in distress thing.” [At this statement, Jake chuckled making the ripples in his stomach muscles tighten and pop underneath his shirt.]

“Just kidding on the damsel in distress. Actually, I’m a trained special agent, who catches the bad guys. I’m kind of the ‘go to’ guy for my boss, Mickey.

“In It Happens in Threes and Killer Bunny Hill, I am called in to keep an eye on the little ladies, who, by the way, can take care of themselves. But I’m there to protect and end up getting involved to the end.”

[Jake leaned back and raked long fingers through chestnut-colored hair.] “In Connect the Dots, I return home from an overseas trip. Hate those. When I get home I find myself with a new neighbor, a very gorgeous, if not citified woman. That’s okay, I won’t hold it against her.”

7. What time period do you live in?

“Oh, Hon, I’m in the here and now.”

8. Where are you from?

“Well, that’s difficult to say. I’ve been everywhere, seen many things, and where I live now is who I am.”

9. Do you live in the same place now?

“Now, I own a nice, old farmhouse in the boonies of New Hampshire. It’s quiet and beautiful, and just what an active field agent needs when he returns from places that would make your skin crawl. I can sit on my farmer’s porch in the chairs that I made myself, drink a beer, and enjoy the sunset.” [A wistful look slid across Jake’s face as he described his place.]

10. Tell us about your hometown and your current home.

“I bought this huge plot of land from my old neighbor with this old rundown house on it. My friends Mickey and Ruby thought I was nuts, but I like doing the work on it by myself.” [He held his large hands out in front of him and flipped them back and forth.]

“I get the greatest sense of accomplishment when I do the work with my own hands. Every time I step on my front porch, I know I built them.”

11. Tell us how your hometown or your current home affects you, the things you do and how you feel about life?

“I live in one of those small towns where everybody knows everyone. You can’t fart without everyone else knowin’ what it smells like.” [He chuckled behind his hand.]

“Sorry, that was a little too descriptive. Basically, we’re an old-fashioned community of people, each with our own talents and skills, who will help each other out in a heartbeat. I love it there.”

12. What is your job? Do you like it?

[Jake leaned in and pressed a finger to his lips.] “Shh. I work for a secret government agency.” [He sat back grinning.]

“Do I like it? Heck, yeah! Why do a job if you don’t love it? Life is too short, Darlin’, to spend more hours in a place you hate, doing a job you despise than at home loving the woman of your dreams or your family. But make sure you cherish that time with your woman and your family every chance you get.”

13. How does your job affect your love life?

[Jake scratched the top of his head and his eyes glanced away.] “That’s a good question. At first, I did not get involved with women. Yeah, I like to flirt.” [He shrugged his wide shoulders and let them drop.]

“But getting involved with someone can be dangerous for them, even deadly. I don’t want to be the cause of a woman losing her life.”

[A gleam shimmered in his gaze.] “Then I met Charley.”

14. What special skills or abilities do you have?

“Besides the sweet talkin’, I am a dog with a bone. I know many languages, some computer skills of which I am getting better and better, how to investigate and research, solve puzzles, infiltrate known organizations, kick ass, and when necessary as it is in most occasions, be diplomatic and stealth.”

15. How do those affect your part in the story?

“Sweetheart, they are the story. I can put 2 and 2 together and when I come up with 5, I know something is wrong. I read body language better than my girlfriend.” [He slapped a hand over his mouth then removed it.]

“Don’t tell Charley I said that. She’ll kick my ass.”

16. Are you happy with the story?

“I think the story surprised me as much as it did Denise. It was so realistic it pretty much scared the bejeezes out of me a couple of times. And when Charley –”

[Jake clamped his lips shut.] “Don’t want to give anything away, but suffice it to say the title Connect the Dots fits well.”

17. Do you have some ideas that the author should consider about the story? You can share them with us. We're all friends here.

“Yup. I think Denise should go ahead and name places. Who cares if the CIA throws a little hissy fit because she, along with a little help from me and Charley, figured out where things are at.”

18. Tell us about your past. Can you share one good experience and/or one bad experience? I know that bad experience can be tough, but it would tell us more about what you have been through.

“Pasts are for the past. Leave it there and it can never haunt you or anyone else around you.”

19. Who is the most important person in your life? Tell us about him/her.

“Most important person in my life is my woman, Charley. She is this citified, pansy-ass, who underneath all those fine clothes is the toughest, smartest, and most feminine woman I have ever met. I’m the luckiest guy there is.”

20. Is that person in the story we are talking about?

“Charley is my new neighbor in Connect the Dots. She starts out as an intriguing pain in my backside, not to mention a liar, but after awhile she grows on me. Yeehaw! The woman knows how to bake cookies and take a man down.”

21. What do you see in your future?

“A lot of Charley and more traveling as a couple.”

22. Do you think your author is going to write another story about you? Or, are you part of a series?

“Well, all her stories so far have been standalone even though I do show up here and there. Do I think Denise will write another story about me?” [A slow, crooked grin tipped the corner of his lips upward.]

“She darn well better, but I know she has to finish that ‘pink undie’ story first and then do that sequel to It Happens in Threes for Mickey and Ruby. Too many people been asking about that. Of course, that means I will probably show up, even if it is to help my good buddy and boss’s fiancée out.”

[WINK WINK] “Watch out, Mickey. Just kidding. Mickey’s kinda the jealous type.”

23. Do you like being a character in a book? Why?

“Absolutely. It’s fun, creative, and I can wreak havoc on Denise’s plans whenever I want just by whispering in her ear.” [Jake chuckled.]

“The woman is like putty in my hands.” [He cupped his hands together then wrapped them over each other.]

24. If someone ever decides to make a movie based on your story, who should play you in the movie and why?

“I’m kind of one of a kind, don’t ya think? But, if I had to choose someone to play me. . . Hmm.” [He sat back, crossed his legs, causing his thigh to bunch up and tighten beneath faded jeans. A few seconds later, he threw his arms open wide and dropped them to his side.]

“I got nothing, nobody. How about you tell me?”


Well, I hope you enjoyed meeting Jake as much as I have enjoyed making him come to life.

If you haven't shared your favorite hero, feel free to do so now.

0 comments:

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com