Friday, September 18, 2009

A rainbow of colors - writing challenge

As I dressed for work this morning in a top labeled with the color "aubergine" on the tag, I wondered, "Why aubergine? What is aubergine?"

Then, because it seemed the logical thing to do, I looked at similar colors in my drawers. (Yeah, okay, so this makes me a little odd, but my mind was working overtime.)

What exactly is aubergine, versus maroon, burgundy, eggplant (besides a vegetable), wine?

What is the difference between these colors? Are they not a version of purple?

Do manufacturers like Crayola, J Jill, and Victoria's Secret make up these colors so you buy the same item only in supposed different colors the next year? You know, "What's old is new again."

Here is your writing challenge. Besides sharing your opinion related to my questions above, describe for me one or more of those listed colors.

Using words, draw an image in the reader's mind what one or more of those colors makes you see, feel, taste, smell.


This should be very interesting and I look forward to seeing your responses.

6 comments:

Tom Howe September 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

Aubergine is a winelike burgudy color with hints of eggplant and a touch of maroon.

Ha, sorry, this is a very tough challenge Denise, for the tint-challenged. I don't even know what taupe means, even though my hardboiled detective wears taupey-teal colored spats. I just guess and let the reader figure out what color stuff is.

A fun one though, thanks!

Tom

Denise September 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

Tom,

HA! That was great. I LMAO when I saw your post.

Thanks,
D

Winslow September 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

Aubergine is the color of dusk in a forest when the mist lifts from the lake...
or
Maroon: the shade of anger as the gathering storm flushes out the sky's serenity and leaves it damp, dark, and heavy.
Um
eggplant - tough one. How about:
it's the color of opaque stubbornness; you can't see through into her dark, thick, and bitter soul.

Denise September 18, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

Winslow -

Terrific descriptions. I especially like the eggplant example.

Thanks!
D

Lisa Olech September 18, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

Wine is the lighter on this scale, a transparent, crisp, rich deep-ruby red. It's sharp and tangy on the tongue.

Add to that a drop or two of age, experience, deepening of the soul, and you have burgandy.

Add the royal luster of cobalt stopping two sighing breaths away from purple and you will achieve Aubergine.

To that add the dense heaviness of navy blue and a grounding weight of earthly brown and you have touched upon the smooth, burnished flesh of eggplant.

Denise September 19, 2009 at 6:01 AM  

Lisa -

Wow. Those were fantastic and I like how you had them all lead into each other.

Thanks,
D

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com