Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Writing Communities

As a new writer, or maybe a longtime struggling writer, do you feel alone? As if you are the only one going through writer's block, editing struggles, rejection pain? Maybe you want to go to a writers conference but have no idea which one. Maybe you have a book that you want to pitch but don't know how to write a query or which editor/agent to pitch to.

That's where writing communities can help. If you're like me when I first started writing, you had no clue you were not alone. All you know is that you want, no need more support and motivation from other people like you. People crazy enough to put pen to paper, fingers to keyboard, and try to tell a story that you want to share with the world.

Well, let's see if I can help you struggle less. The following are just a few organizations that may help you out. No, you do not need to join all. You don't have to join any, but at least check them out.

If these aren't for you then checkout what your local library has to offer in the way of writing groups or your local bookstores.

There is the Mystery Writers of America. Their website is www.mysterywriters.org. MWA has a sister organization called Sisters in Crime. Their website is www.sistersincrime.org.

Romance writers have Romance Writers of America can be found at www.rwanational.org. This organization has local chapters everywhere. You may have to drive a ways to get to a monthly meeting, but there is a group somewhere in your area.

International Thriller Writers is an organization that I just recently joined. A much smaller group with only about 1000 members compared to the 3000 of MWA and 10000 of RWA, but this group is just has just as many resources. ITW can be found on the web at www.thrillerwriters.org. Oh! They have a huge conference each year and the focus is on getting readers and writers together.

Maybe you write science-fiction or fantasy and want a group focused on those genres. Try Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. SFWA's website is www.sfwa.org.

6 comments:

L. Olech September 30, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

Thanks Denise... There is something about attending that first meeting. I remember the excited feeling of being in a room of kindred spirits; of people who understood and shared a similar passion. They were speaking my language. And best of all, many have already walked the road I am now on, and can tell me where the potholes are and where the detours may be. And I know those same people are waiting for me on the other side of the finish line... with champagne!

While ultimately we sit alone at our keyboards, it is wonderful to know help, friendship, and community are within our reach.

Autumn Storm September 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

You are so correct Denise...people who share similar passions have a better idea what you may or may not be going through and they are always willing to support your dreams. As a result of joining our group I have become a stronger writer and tend to believe in myself a little bit more.

Denise September 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

Lisa and Autumn - Thanks for stopping by and leaving such positive comments.

It's true that we get not finer/unconditional support than from fellow writers.

I am thrilled and grateful to have met so many in the last few years on this long and winding publishing journey.

Ceri Hebert September 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

I don't know what I would've done without my online groups over the years. Sadly the ones that really helped me through have disbanded, but they were there when I really needed them and I still am in contact with many of the members still.

Emma Leigh September 30, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

Excellent post, Denise. I can't imagine what I would do without the support of fellow chapter members whether locally or online. Non-writers just don't get it.

Denise September 30, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

I have to agree. Most non-writers look at us and think we're whacked when we starte refering to our characters as real people.

Well, duh! They are real. They come to life first in our minds and then on paper. If they didn't reading a book would be BORING!

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com