Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I did the stupidest thing a writer can do

. . .and I'm in tears.

I lost my FLASH drive that I carry with me everywhere that has all my writings on it including my current Work-In-Progress. That is twelve thousand words in the first 4 chapters of book number five plus a bunch of chapters that were written separately but not merged into the book yet. That doesn't even include various other pieces I have written. I use the FLASH drive so I can take my story with me wherever I go and be able to write in it at whatever device is available to me.

Some of the FLASH drive was backed up but NOTHING on my working story.

I spent yesterday literally in tears and tearing my house and car apart - multiple times. My poor cats must have thought a tornado hit the house because I even went so far as to dump any trash I could find and search it. Unfortunatley, to no avail.

Why was it not backed up?

#1 - I obviously want to live dangerously and I am a flake.
#2 - The automatic backup system that I have does not back up a FLASH drive.
**I have a server that I backup all my files to but the the backup software does not read a FLASH drive when inserted into a USB drive slot**

#3 - I obviously want to live dangerously and I am a flake.

Please do not do what I did. Back up your data.

6 comments:

Cynthia Spurr December 22, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

I am sooo sorry to here about the Flash drive. I work on a laptop so that when I'm home it autosyncs to my server which is then backed up weekly. Might make that folder back up nightly after hearing this.

Grab some coffee or one of those truffles you write about making and maybe you'll get lucky and someone will turn up with it.

It's Christmas after all. Nice things are bound to happen. I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best for you.

Anonymous December 22, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

Denise -- I know there are online backup services available. I think Christyne mentioned using one. Might be worth the money. I work on my laptop and backup on thumbdrive occassionally, but not enough. So scary. Hope it turns up.

Gina Leuci
www.ginaleuci.com

Emma Leigh December 22, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Hope it turns up, Denise. It has to be somewhere and probably a week from now you'll lay your hands on it. Hang in there and keep searching.

Michelle December 23, 2009 at 7:22 AM  

!! Hard lesson. So sorry Denise. *hugs*

Jennifer Parris December 24, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

That really sucks! You must be so frustrated!!!!! I'll send some good lost and found energy your way and hope it turns up sooner rather than later. Try to enjoy the holidays and forget about it for a few days anyway.

Ceri Hebert December 27, 2009 at 6:45 AM  

Have you found it yet?? How heartbreaking! I've accidentally deleted (or forgot to save) stuff before so I'm a little manic about that stuff.

I hope it shows up!!!

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com