Monday, December 7, 2009

What's the thing you like least about being an author?

This is a question I ask many authors that I interview as part of my Book-A-Week Challenge. The answers are what I believe most writers should be aware of and prepared for.

Me - I am not fond of the marketing aspect. I love the getting out and meeting readers and other writers. I would do that every week and love it!

It's the planning, the how do I get my name out there, contacting book stores, restaurants, and other venues who will many of them turn you down. Like we didn't have enough rejection just trying to get published?

It's the amount of time spent crafting and sending out press releases, emails, or placing phone calls when I could have been writing. Especially when 99% of what I send out goes unanswered.

So why do we do this?

We put ourselves out there every day, take precious time away from writing because we love what we do and want to share it with others. We do it because if we don't tell the world of readers that we exist they will never know.

Getting into print is just the beginning. For me, getting people to read my books is the hardest task I face as an author. **Tomorrow we'll discuss ways of getting readers to read your work.**

What about you? What do you like least about being an author? Share your thoughts, experiences, thoughts here.

0 comments:

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com