Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Why I blew off the RWA Conference

As some of you know, I had planned to attend the RWA National Conference in DC this year, but at the last minute changed my mind.

Why?

I had to finish writing book #4 Never Tempt Danger.

Why had?

Two reasons. The first is that I had set a goal for myself, and yes, I am very goal oriented. Hey! I'm a Type A personality. What can I say?

Those of you who write will probably understand the second reason. For those of you who do not write, you may think I am a little off my rocker, and you may be right. Then again, most authors probably are at least a tad off center. :-)

This is what happens to me and is reason number two.

When I get about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through a story, the next story idea starts pinging me in the head like a pinball bouncing off the maze of obstacles making all kinds of bells go off.

That's not so bad. Noisy, but not too distracting.

It is when the characters for the next book start popping up all over the place that it gets disturbing. All of the sudden instead of typing my hero's name in my WIP, the hero for my next story decides to intrude and I end up typing in his name.

Worse than that is when you are completely exhausted after working a 10 or 12 hour day and you go to crawl in bed and the characters from your next novel flash through your mind and give you an entire scene. You have two choices at this point: You can ignore them and get the very much desired and required sleep you need or you can get up and type the scene up while the picture is vivid and fresh.

I TRIED to ignore them but it did not help. All night long, the images replayed in my mind. With every toss and turn, and fist in the pillow, the dialog and scene perfected itself. By morning, I had gotten no sleep, and the characters (Garrett and Jane), were still in the back of my mind jumping up and down, waving their hands at me for attention.

Basically, I had no choice but to wrap up Never Tempt Danger with its nanorobots.

Why did I tell you all this?

One, so you can see one example of what writers go through when new story ideas start pummeling at you.

Two, is . . . Instead of taking that vacation week off and attending the RWA Conference, I stayed at home on my deck and wrote and wrote and wrote.

Blowing off the conference was completely worth it because I finished novel#4 and found out late last night via email from my editor (who I think is the greatest)that Never Tempt Danger is being contracted for publication by L&L Dreamspell.

YIPPEE!! YEEHAW!! Doing the publication happy dance!

9 comments:

The Reading Frenzy July 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

I'm sure you were sorely missed in DC, but hey it worked out for the better. There will always be another conference, and I'm sure we'll all be glad you were sacrificing the notoriety for the sake of your fans.

Denise July 29, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

Hi Debbie,

I don't know about being sorely missed :-), but in my opinion, you're right. It was worth the sacrifice.

D

The Belle in Blue July 29, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

On a list of writing priorities, I agree that finishing a book comes before attending a conference. I know a lot of writers who attend two or three conferences a year but never finish a book! Congrats to you for getting it right, Denise!

Jacqueline Seewald July 29, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

Denise,

Congrats on all your hard work paying off. As far as the conference goes, there's always next year!

Marianne Arkins July 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

WOO HOO on the contract! And.. yep, know exactly what you mean.

Denise July 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Thanks, Ladies!

Ceri Hebert July 31, 2009 at 5:40 AM  

You made the right choice. Never ignore when a story is calling you. It might go away if you don't pay attention to it.

Anonymous August 2, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

Thanks Ceri!

Susan Whitfield August 2, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

Enjoyed the interview with another member of the "Dream team". Hats off to Denise Robbins!

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com