Monday, March 23, 2009

A book you refuse to part with

Is there a book on your shelf that you refuse to part with? Maybe there is more than one.
What is the title and who is the author?
Why do you refuse to lend it to another living soul, not even your spouse or best friend whom you have known since 2nd grade?
Is it autographed by the author? Did you meet the author in person? Was it a gift from your first love or your parents?
Do you every once and a while look at the book and think, "I should get rid of it." Then you get heart palpitations, freak out and put it back.
How many times have you read the book cover to cover?

Me? Well, I used to have an all-time favorite first edition by Iris Johansen called THE UGLY DUCKLING. A couple of years ago I gave it to a friend. Bye-bye book.

I have a couple of signed Janet Evanovich books. One, I waited in line for hours to get (my first book signing ever). The nice thing was that the bookstore gave all of us in line a slice of cheesecake. When I finally made it up to meet Janet, she was funny and friendly and made the drive and the wait well worth it. Ever since then, I have loved going to book events.

2 comments:

Ceri Hebert March 24, 2009 at 6:23 AM  

Hmm... good question. I only have 1 book that I'd never let leave the house and that's my father's book. Okay, so it's nothing I'd ever read, it's actually more of a catalog of sorts on hood ornaments for classic and antique cars. It's called Motoring Mascots Of The World and many who are collectors call it their "bible". It was published right around the time I developed an interest in writing, so it was an inspiration (not that our writing styles are in the same universe of course).

I also have a book on Celtic mythology that I use for writing purposes but I'm very attached to it.

Denise March 24, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

The Celtic mythology book sounds very interesting.

And I don't blame you on not parting with your father's book.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com