Friday, March 20, 2009

Writer's Dilemma

For 3 days now I have done very little writing because I have spent the majority of my time mentally debating with myself.

About what you ask? And I'm glad you did.

On Tuesday, I was offered a job (contract-to-perm) at a company in south boston. The money is good. The commute is not. That's at least a 90 minute drive in traffic each way and it could be more.

I've just recently gotten comfortable with my current situation and have found myself VERY happy because I am writing. . .like a crazy woman! I mean I just had book 3 signed for publishing and I'm 1/3 of the way into writing book 4, which I hope to have completed by end of April.

It's killing me because I am ecstatic that I believe I am doing what I was not only meant to do, but love doing, and now I have to decide if making a living is more important.

Yes, I believe that is the choice I have to make. Why? Because the commute will take extra hours from me. And if you don't know me, I am one of those people who is a perfectionist so therefore I pour all of me into anything I take on, which mean I will also spend more time at the office cleaning up the mess the company has. (Which is the only kind of place I like to work :-) )

It's a 6 month contract to permanent position, but just like everything else in life there is no guarantee.

Now that I have spilled everything, I need feedback. I've had some people say get a grip and walk away from it as life is too short. Others say, the pay is good so go for it, especially in this economy. And yet, others who say consider it for just the contract portion and decide after that.

So, I ask you all, my fellow writers and friends. . .what say you?

3 comments:

Ceri Hebert March 20, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

That's a tough choice. For me, however, I couldn't deal with that drive. The thought of Mass traffic makes me ill, so that would be the deciding factor. But that's me. I work 5 minutes (walking) from home. I'd hate to have to commute again.

I work 40 hours but I don't have a choice. I don't make nearly enough on my writing to be able to stay home. Maybe someday. I think, though, if I had the opportunity to stay home and just write I'd grab it.

Probably wasn't much of a help. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Denise March 21, 2009 at 5:54 AM  

Five minute commute is nice! I had that once a very long time ago.

I wish I could make a living writing. Someday!

Denise March 23, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

Well, I took the job.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com