Friday, November 6, 2009

Books as Art

Last week I told you all about a phone call I received from a local framer I use, Rainbow Frame and Art. The caller said, "Your book is now art." I loved that!
Then a bunch of people said they wanted to see the new art so the other day I took pictures of the book art hanging on my library walls.
This book, The Offering, is a book that UMASS Lowell puts out once a year and last year I had a poem published in it.
These photos are of my characters names and hang in my office as inspiration for future stories.

My writer friend Gina Leuci takes these wonderful pictures. The owners of Rainbow Frame and Art love these and think the idea of framing street signs is wicked cool.

It is an amazing feeling to walk in to the framing store and have Brian (the owner) pull out this big, brown paper wrapped package. He eases the tape open and then lifts up so I can see. Astounding! Gorgeous! Makes all those words feel closer and easy to display.

Every time I go in to pick up a piece of framed art, Brian asks, "When is the next one coming out?"

Each time I get to smile and then say, "In a month."

He grins back, shakes his head then hands me my beautiful art. On the way out he yells, "See you next month."

OH! And his wife likes my books. :-) When Connect the Dots comes out I think Brian may like to read that one.

4 comments:

Emma Leigh November 6, 2009 at 6:14 AM  

Love the art, Denise!!! I can't wait to read Connect The Dots also.

Denise November 6, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

Hehe. Thank you.

Anonymous November 6, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

Denise -- the book covers are great and, of course, I love the street signs. As a matter of fact I will be at 2 craft fairs selling street sign names. Nov 21st at the Greater Nashua Mother's Club holiday fair at the Holiday Inn in Nashua and again Dec 5th at New Searles School, Nashua. And we still need someone out there to find CHARLEY street for us.

Gina Leuci
www.ginaleuci.com

Denise November 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

Yes, a Charley sign would be great as she is my heroine in Connect the Dots.

Gina - would love to try to make a fair to see more of your stuff.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com