Sunday, May 17, 2009

Book-A-Week Challenge Interview with author Carla Neggers


This week's interview is with Carla Neggers, author of BETRAYALS, on our Book-A-Week Challenge.

Please welcome this week’s author for the Book-A-Week Challenge, Carla Neggers.
First, let me congratulate you on THE ANGEL named as a finalist for the Romance Writers of America® (RWA) 2009 RITA® Award for Romantic Suspense.

Thank you! I'm honored to be recognized by my peers and among so many wonderful writers.

What makes your stories unique? The “Carla” aspect.
Oooh..good question! I think it's my blend of suspense, romance, adventure and action – often with a touch of humor. I have a very 'organic' approach to storytelling that I think comes through in my characters and plots. I enjoy creating a 'universe' of characters. COLD PURSUIT is the first book in my Black Falls series, set in Vermont and Washington, D.C. – it continues this fall with COLD RIVER. It's the first time I've actually named a series. My other series is set in Boston, Maine and Ireland. It started with THE WIDOW and continues with THE ANGEL and THE MIST.
Can you tell I love to write?!

I heard you were taking a trip to Ireland. Is this a trip for family and fun or a working excursion for a new novel?

Any trip to Ireland is for pleasure, whether it involves research or working on a book or a vacation. I'm typing this from my hotel room on Kenmare Bay! It's a beautiful morning, and we're off to hike part of the Beara Way. I'm taking lots of pictures – check them out soon on my website or Facebook page! THE ANGEL, due out in paperback at the end of the month, and THE MIST, due out in hardcover at the end of June, are both partly set in Ireland (as well as Boston and Maine!).



The image to the left is a picture Carla sent of the Ireland mist the other morning.

With more than 50 novels published, how do you keep coming up with compelling stories that capture your readers’ attention?

I've always had ideas – it's why I write!
What do you enjoy most about being an author?
I love to write – I'm not one of those tortured writers. ;-) But the best part about being published is getting to hear from and meet so many readers. There's just nothing like it. It's such a privilege.


Is there any part about being an author you find less appealing than others?

Anything that involves a spreadsheet. ;-)

When you’re not working on your next story, what are you doing?

I love to hike, kayak, garden, travel, read and hang out with friends and my large extended family. The garden's not looking so great so far this year – the hard winter and the deer have taken a toll – but I'm looking forward to getting out there with my hoe. I do some of my best creative thinking in the garden!

Okay, last question. When you curl up with a book to read, what kind of book is it or which author do you rush to the bookstore to buy?

Reading is one of my great pleasures, and I'll read almost anything. Right now I'm reading a book of Irish fairytales. A good thing to do, since I'm here on the southwest coast of Ireland.

To find out more about Carla or get more information about her upcoming books, visit her website at http://www.carlaneggers.com/.

I want to thank Carla for taking the time while in Ireland to participate in this interview and for sending a wonderfaul image of Ireland. Now we can all be jealous!

2 comments:

Ceri Hebert May 17, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

Wonderful interview, and I'm envious of your current trip to Ireland. I've always wanted to go. When you travel like that do you spend any time writing or do you just do research?

Ellen May 17, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

Great interview! We visited Ireland for the first time last summer and I couldn't get over the awesome magical quality of it. And not only in the countryside, but the cities as well.

Thanks for sharing!

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com