Monday, May 4, 2009

Let's just be friends writing prompt

Friday's writing prompt: When he said, “Let’s just be friends. . .”

Here is my response:

When he said, “Let’s just be friends,” as he crawled out of the bed they just made love in, Jane’s first thought was that he had to be kidding.

From the bed, she blinked unseeing at Max. He bent down and his dark hair disappeared from view for a second then he came up smiling at her.

“Tha. . .that was a joke, right?” she asked, her voice quavering. She tugged the green sheet up in front of her still naked breasts in a shield.

Max stepped into his boxers, boxers she had bought him for Valentine’s Day, yesterday. His gaze met hers. “No.” He shrugged. “I think we’re good friends and that we should stay that way.”

Her mouth dropped open and she wanted to scream, wanted to give him a piece of her mind, but the words caught in her throat and the only sound that escaped was a loud sigh. Heart beating inside her chest thrummed blood in her ears, and her vision started to blur. She grasped the headboard to steady herself.

His shirt pulled over his head, Max hauled his harry legs into his jeans and jerked them up. “I’m sorry, baby. I know I hurt you, but it just. . .” He shrugged again. “It’s not a good idea.” He slipped the belt into the buckle and hooked his pants up.

Not a good idea? Kissing until her toes curled and her stomach dipped as if on a roller coaster ride was not a good idea. Make the bed move as if one of the vibrating machines was hooked to it when in fact it was just the two of them was not a good idea. Screaming until the cows come home because the climax sent her into oblivion was not a good idea. Then what the hell was?

Oh, she had her mad on now. Jane leapt from the bed, leaving the sheet behind. Hands fisted on hips, she stood next to the bed and went off.

“Excuse me? Are you out of your freakin’ mind? You just made love to me, scratch that,” she said holding a hand up palm out. “We just had rock my world sex and you want to bolt out the door ten minutes later after you’ve got your breath back!”

Max opened his mouth to speak, but Jane shook her head once and met his blue eyes with her own brown-eyed glare and he shut it.

“Don’t even tell me that what we did was average or even below average.” She stalked around the bed and aimed a finger at his chest. “I hear you yell my name. I felt the rumble low in your gut as you spasmed with ecstasy inside me.” She laid her hand on his fast beating heart and stepped closer. “Are you going to stand there in front of me and tell me to my face that you didn’t enjoy what just happened between us? Are you going to lie to me?”

Tearing her gaze from his strong and heaving chest, Jane lifted her chin and gazed up at Max. Go ahead, she thought. Go ahead and lie. Be Pinocchio.

Max peered down at her, his blue eyes cold as ice, hard and unfeeling. “I want us to be friends,” he told her in a flat voice.

Jane’s heart fell to the floor, exposed and bleeding, and Max stepped on it, crushing her as he walked past her without another word and left.

***
The door banged shut behind him. He leaned against it, letting out a rush of air. He had to get out of there. If he stayed any longer, he would never have left. He had to leave. If he stayed any longer, the life of the woman he loved would be in danger. If it wasn’t already.

2 comments:

Ceri Hebert May 4, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

Yeowza! That was awesome!

Denise May 5, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

Thanks.
I so love these free writes.

It would be cool to take all of them and smush them into some kind of story.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com