Sunday, October 4, 2009

Book-A-Week-Challenge reading Who Moved My Cheese


A few months back at a NHRWA writers group meeting, we all brought in books to donate to the Bow Library in Bow, NH. Before we gave the enormous amounts of books over to the wonderful librarians, we had an opportunity to go through each other's books and see if there was something we wanted to take for our own.

Yeah, I know, that defeats the purpose of cleaning out your own library, but you never know what little gem you might find in somebody else's "already read pile".

Anyway, I was just sitting there and one of the other writers, I won't name names, handed me the book, Who Moved My Cheese. I looked at her and thought she was nuts. Well, she is, but she told me in no uncertain terms that I had to read the book.

"Fine," I mumbled and took the book. Well, it has sat on my coffee table for long enough. This week we read Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson, MD for this week's Book-A-Week Challenge.

At the end of the week, on Sunday, instead of an author interview, let's have a Q&A and see what you thought of and got out of this book. I know I'm interested to see why my friend was so adamant about shoving this book at me. :-)

I'll see you next Sunday, October 11, to have a book chat. In the meantime, happy reading!

Pub. Date: January 1998
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Format: Hardcover, 96pp
ISBN-13: 9780399144462

Purchase: B&N
Amazon

Blurb: Who Moved My Cheese? is the story of four characters living in a "Maze" who face unexpected change when they discover their "Cheese" has disappeared. Sniff and Scurry, who are mice, and Hem and Haw, little people the size of mice, each adapt to change in their "Maze" differently. In fact, one doesn't adapt at all...

This timeless allegory reveals profound truths to individuals and organizations dealing with change. We each live in a "Maze", a metaphor for the companies or organizations we work with, the communities we live in, the families we love places where we look for the things we want in life, "Cheese". It may be an enjoyable career, loving relationships, wealth, or spiritual peace of mind. With time and experience, one character eventually succeeds and even prospers from the change in his "Maze".In an effort to share what he has learned along the way, he records his personal discoveries on the maze walls, the "Handwriting on the Wall". Likewise, when we begin to see the "writing on the wall", we discover the simplicity and necessity of adapting to change.

0 comments:

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com