Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A B Cs of Simple Social Networking Tips for Writers

A B C s of Social Networking
by a non-expert


The little tips I am about to share with you are simple and straightforward and everyone can and should do them.

A. If you visit someone’s blog – leave a comment.

It is fine and dandy that you send the blogger an email and tell him/her how much you enjoyed the article but you as the responder get no exposure. How will anyone but the blogger know you liked or disliked, or shared a comment about the post.

By leaving a comment, even a small one, more people know you exist. How? Other visitors see your image/avatar next to the comment or your website/blog URL and they click on it and visit your site.

B. If someone leaves you a comment – return the favor and visit his or her blog, leave a comment.

Visiting the blog of someone who was kind enough to leave a comment on your blog will give you an opportunity to find someone else of interest. You could end up following their blog or maybe follow someone else’s blog you find a link to off his/her post.

On top of that, this gives you more opportunity to expose yourself. Every time you leave a comment on another person’s blog you increase your exposure and the chance to get more followers.

C. If you read it – Tweet about it.

This is the simplest thing to do. Half the time there is a button or link on someone’s blog that you can click that will let you leave a Tweet on Twitter about what you just read.

If you found the link to the blog you just read on Twitter, be sure to RT (re-tweet) who you found it from and the link to the blog.

Why? Tweeting gives you an even greater amount of exposure because most people have higher volumes of followers through Twitter than their blog. Tweeps on Twitter are reciprocal and tend to pass the word or in this case tweet to all their tweeps.

Remember social networking only works by spreading the word and these three simple ABCs of networking will make you not an expert, but will get you exposure and the opportunity to meet many interesting and like-minded people.

4 comments:

Ceri Hebert October 14, 2009 at 5:07 AM  

I really need to figure out how to use Twitter. I generally stick to Facebook. And I have to blog more. What it comes down to is managing my time more. Writing and networking should be my priorities. Good post.

Denise October 14, 2009 at 5:30 AM  

Ceri - if you need help just let me know.

Managing time is definitely an issue. I fight it all the time. Right now I have been doing everything but writing, but that will change in November. All writing with some social networking.

Try doing a guest blog. I would love to have you guest blog on my site. Let me know.

April October 14, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Excellent tips, Denise!! I am so loving Twitter and think it really does help get the word out about posts. Also, I agree that it is very important to comment on posts. I don't always comment on every post that I read, but do at least on one post on the blog that I visit.

Denise October 14, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

April - I really like Twitter as well. Get to meet a lot of people and find out about a lot more stuff going on faster, easier without searching the web.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com