Monday, April 6, 2009

Countdown to writing the love scene - Day 1

In honor of the fact that I am going to be presenting a discussion on "Writing Love Scenes" Saturday, April 11 at NHRWA, I thought I would post some prep work to lead up to writing that sizzling hot scene.


First, let me start by saying love scenes or romances do exist outside of the romance genre. Let's make that clear for everyone. Pick up a book by Jonathan Kellerman, David Baldacci, John Sanford, Janet Evanovich, and you will find romances or love scenes in their books.


That said, let's get to the basics. What are the basic elements of a love scene?


No, the answer is not, "insert Tab A into slot B."


Hint: There are 3 basic elements.


Next question. Of those 3 elements, which one is the most important? Why?

Post your thoughts and we'll chat about them.

1 comments:

Ceri Hebert April 7, 2009 at 6:01 AM  

I'm looking forward to the prep work posts. I have a heck of a time writing love scenes. I don't want to make them, as you say "insert Tab A into Slot B". So, what do I make sure to include in my scenes? Plenty of emotion. Now, not all of my characters are in love when they do the deed, but there has to be a strong emotional connection, they have to be at the brink of love, even if they don't know it at the time.

For some of my characters this is a catalyst and they'll fight for the emotion to grow (like my current hero). And for others, it'll scare the heck out of them and make them run far and fast (like my current heroine).

I'm a big believer in romance and if I'm not "getting it" from the story I'm writing I can't continue, or I'll have to start all over again.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com