Thursday, April 23, 2009

I just have to whine

First, let me tell you that I am not normally a big whiner. What I mean to say is that I don't whine very often. But when I do whine, og yeah, I whine big time.

So why am I whining today?

Because of my new job and the horrible, disgusting, and very painful drive to and from south Boston. Last night it took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to get home in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

I left my house at 7 AM and arrived at work at 8 AM. As soon as I walked in I found out that I had an 8 AM meeting, for which I was now late. The rest of the day was spent in various meetings, including one that ran until 5 PM. (I was supposed to leave at 4.) When I left an hour late, I sat in that brake light - to - brake light traffic. I wanted to pull my hair out!! Not to mention the crazy drivers that don't know how to use signals and just cut you off, but hey, we expect that.

By the time I arrived home, oo you think I wanted to do anything?

Heck, no!

I gave my kitties who missed me desperately some treats and played with them for a few. I feel so neglectful being gone 12 hours a day. Then I ate some cereal because yes, I was too gosh darn tired to go back out or cook anything.

After that, I tried getting my new laptop up on the internet but, of course, it was not cooperative. Dang 64-bit operating system! So, I never got that accomplished.

Writing?! What writing? HA! How do other writers do it? Seriously. After working or commuting and working 10 to 12 hours a day where do writers find time to actually work on their manuscript?

Now wonder my first two books took years to complete.

Whew! Okay, I'm glad I got that out there. Thanks!

4 comments:

Ceri Hebert April 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

I absolutely could not do it. I get so edgy in traffic of any kind (and we only have 1 stop light in our town...literally). The thought of driving to Boston chills me straight to the bone. We have to go to Logan a few times a year and last few times the weather has been horrendous but the drivers (even at 1am) are still crazy.

To me, no job would be worth going through that!

Denise April 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM  

Believe me when I say I totally agree with you.

My "real" job, the job I love is writing! Someday that will be the only job I have.

D

Anonymous April 26, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

Denise, it just plain sucks! It's not so bad if you're in a job you love and want to give it all your time, but you're an author dammit! I guess if you have to do the long commute, bring a tape recorder for those brilliant thoughts that come to people only in the car or in the shower. : )

Kim
You Don't Say NO to Girls

Denise April 27, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

Hi Kim!

Yeah it sucks. I have one of those recorder thingies but never use it.

This week I have no after work commitments so I am hoping to get some writing done. Really want to get book 4 complete!

D

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com