Monday, April 27, 2009

Dreams and Writing

Last night I had the weirdest dream. For the record, I am not a teenager. I know you could not tell by my photo. :-) HA!

Anyway, I dreamt about going to the senior prom. How weird is that? I don't remember all the details just that it was about the build up to the dance. I even picked out a dress which the guy in my dream said was perfect. Like a guy on prom night would say otherwise?

But of course, I can't remember who the guy was. Actually, I remember the dress better than the guy. Some slinky, silk thing that hooked over one shoulder and left the other exposed. I think that's because I like my shoulders and consider them one of my better features. Yeah, yeah, who cares what Freud would say to that.

So here's the thing. Dreams are very important to me, especially in my writing. Many times I will get a clear vision of a scene and yes, it will end up in a book or it is the beginning of a book as in the case of my current WIP. But, what was the senior prom with an unnamed guy supposed to mean? How am I supposed to use that in a book? No, it will not fit in my WIP nor my next story that is already drifting in and out of my head like a nagging man. :-)

What dreams have you used in your writing? Do you write them down as soon as you wakeup or do you let the images percolate?

2 comments:

Ceri Hebert April 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM  

I rarely remember enough of my dreams to do anything with. I do have a lot of going back to school (either college or high school) and I'm always late for classes and don't know where I'm supposed to be.) When I do have a memorable dream it's usually one I can't do much with. My DH has very vivid dreams, generally end of the world dreams. A little disturbing. Maybe he and I need to collaborate on one of his dreams and make it into a book.

Denise April 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

I think collaborating sounds like a marvelous idea. . .at least on the idea, not the actual writing. :-)

D

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com