Friday, April 10, 2009

Love Scene Discussion Day 6

WARNING - This exercise may push your comfort zone.


Love scene writing Day 6. Let's talk about "it."

Before you begin, let me apologize if this gets tricky for some folks, but this is fiction not real-life. This is not you on a stage showing the world. It is your characters. No inhibitions in fiction.


Some of our examples have shown "it", but now we want to really discuss "it."
It? What it? The "it" I am referring to is two different things. The first one you have to have in order to achieve the second.


Are you confused yet, or just saying, "Tell us what it is!"


The first it is the penis. GASP! She said it. Actually, no, I wrote it. And guess what? You will too in your book. Hey! We're writers. We do it and write about it. That's my slogan.


Part 1: What do you call "it?" Here's a tip. Ask your spouse or boyfriend. I will bet you dollars to donuts they have a pet name.


Exercise: List 5 examples of what you could call it in your manuscript.


Now that we have taken care of the hard part (oops! no pun intended), let's talk about what we do with it.
Part 2: What do you call the "act" of doing it? Example: He buried himself inside her.

Exercise: List 5 terms for the act of penetration you might use.



The final act (OMG! I am cracking myself up!) is to write a snippet that shows hero and heroine doing it and how you refer to it without using the words that begin with P.

3 comments:

Ceri Hebert April 11, 2009 at 7:09 AM  

I honestly don't think my DH has a pet name for "it". At least I don't think so and we've been married for 14 years.

Hmmm... I try to stay away from the classics like "manroot" That cracks me up. I don't use penis much either. Sounds too dry. What do I use though...

1)erection (always a good one, can be described as iron-hard, or straining)
2)rigid shaft
3)swollen manhood (though manhood is kind of pushing my cliche limit)
4)arousal (growing, fiery etc)
5)staff (swollen, burgeoning etc)

Penetration
1)slid, inch by delicious inch
2)impaled her
3)drove up into her
4)entered her fully, in one deep thrust
5)filled her in one swift motion

Final Act
Lori wrapped her legs back around Will’s waist, easing him closer until the tip of his straining erection was pressed tightly against the slick heat of her center. He paused there, just for a moment and their gazes locked. Her eyes were so dark, so lost in passion.

Will leaned back down and reclaimed her mouth, his tongue tangling with hers as he thrust his hips forward, driving into her passion moistened depths.

Denise April 12, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

Ceri -

Great Examples and Snippet!

You should have been at yesterday's NHRWA meeting. We had a blast talking over all of these things and laughing.

Ceri Hebert April 12, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

I wish. I've been considering joining, but I'm so far away from where the meetings are held.

  © 2009 DENISE ROBBINS | Design and graphics by Will Design For Chocolate | Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com